Monday, January 25, 2010

Granola





Another week  is before us and it is already shaping up to be a good  and full week. After spending the weekend with friends, eating and drinking, my Monday seems to be a bit foggy and I am in desprate need of a second cup of coffee and some super food.



























I adapted a granola recipe from Lottie + Doof and created a hearty, flavorful breakfast treat that my friend called "peacan pie" while others have said that I should sell it. I think I have hit the granola jackpot and I am so excited to share. I suggest, as with most of the recipes that I like to share, use this as a base and expand off of it. This recipe is a good cornerstone, but please use your imagination and create the perfect mix for yourself.

We are so fortinuate to have a freezer full of fresh pecans thanks to the lovely folks in Texas. Growing up in Washington, pecans were never on the menu, now having family in Texas means that I will never run out of pecans to pull from the freezer. I think that it is very important to include a healthy amount of protien for breakfast and the fats found in peacans are one of the ultimate powerfoods. So I don't minds being a bit heavy handed when adding nuts and if you were like me for many years, a combination of almonds and pecans would be just as tasty and healthy in this recipe.


J's good friend lives in Mass. and now I feel even more blessed to know that I will never run out of fresh maple syrup. Well, I should say that If I make this granola for him in exchange for syrup, I will forever be rich with gallons maple goodness. I have tried over the years to create a granola that tasted good, had all the right ingredients, was fresh and didn't require me to pay upwards of $9.99 a pound for it at the co-op. There has been many failed attempts, but finally I have found success and it all revolves around maple syrup. Maple syrup is stable enough to get to a high temprature without burning. I was always facinated by the idea of using honey but it always seems to burn. Maple syrup or agave syrup are the perfect sweeteners for homemade granola.

Granola (adapted from Lottie + Doof)


2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats

2 cups spelt

1 cup raw sunflower seeds, hulled

1 cup coconut chips

2 1/12 cups raw pecans, very coarsely chopped

3/4 cup pure maple syrup

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt

1 tablespoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 300°F.


Place oats, spelt, sunflower seeds, coconut, pecans, syrup, olive oil, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl and mix until well combined. Spread granola mixture in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Transfer to oven and bake, stirring every 10 minutes, until granola is toasted, about 45-55 minutes. It should be nice and golden brown.

Remove granola from oven and season with additional salt, if desired. Remove granola from pan before if cools or simply line pan with parchment paper. Let cool completely before serving or storing in an airtight container for up to 1 month.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by....Love your granola, and also the idea of roasting chickpeas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum... granola is the greatest. Love having it on hand and always enjoy trying new recipes for it, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS.....