Thursday, October 07, 2010

Pasco Market

I was increadibly skeptical to move to the Tri Cities. People referred to it as the arm pit of Washington and much to my dismay the "Dry Shitties." I hesitate to admit, I lost sleep over the idea of moving to a place that had such a reputation. I should have known better than to judge a place before I experienced it for myself. 
The first week has been a delight getting our new apartment all settled, exploring the town, trying new restaurants, a few wine tastings, learning a little more about Hanford and the clean-up project, and even a visit to the mid-week farmers market in Pasco.

Pasco's farmers market is the largest open air farmers market in the state and occurs on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 9am to noon May through October. 

I am blessed with an abundance of time right now and I jumped on the opportunity to explore the smaller, mid-week market. I spent some time getting to know a few of the vendors. The shinning star of the morning was an organic orchard, who graciously knew my fondness for fruit and let me eat each one of the plumbs and apples before I bought them. Needless to say I left there with my totes full of fruity goodness. 

  With the weather in the mid 70's I decided to walk through some of the sunny streets of Pasco. 


 My senses were overwhelmed by bright colors, smells of roasting meat, and a refreshing bit of multiculturalism.
 Pasco is a little Mexico that reminds of some of the border towns of the Texas region. I was instantly transported to our many trips into Mexico and found it to be a very welcoming and familiar atmosphere. 

Of course I had to stop in on the the largest bakery in town I had walked by. The cases were filled with brightly colored pastries - covered in sugar, colored sugar... a perfect way to end the afternoon.



Here is to many more great adventures because as I see for myself, the Tri Cities are not that bad in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS.....