Friday, May 13, 2011

Banana Ice Cream


I don't like ice cream, you know that hard packed heavy ice cream.

I love soft serve and certain gelato flavors makes me bounce around on my toes with excitement.

Big scoops of ice cream just doesn't put wind my skirt.


I grew up in the Pacific Northwest where there might be five days a year in which in might actually get warm. Those days are treasured, everyone saves up their sick days for the beautiful August and September weather, the few days in which shorts are comfortable and it is okay if you leave your jacket by the door. There are a very special handful of warm days in Bellingham, Washington in a good year. The rest of the days, I always tossed a long sleeve shirt in my purse and wore shorts while being active, relying on my own body heat for warmth. Seriously. I remember watching the forth of July fire works in my big down puffy jacket.

Ice cream in the PNW is well kind of an after thought in my book 360 days a year. It may induce hypothermia.


Things change. We moved to the desert. I have a sunburn and awful tan lines before June. It is 80 degrees here in the arm pit of Washington. 80 in May, come visit, you can sit poolside with me and we can ice cream for breakfast and sip iced tea all day while soaking up all the vitamin D you can handle.


Ice cream for breakfast? Yes, I went from turning my nose to cold creaminess to whipping it up for breakfast. It is hot before 9 am and what better way to cool off than cold banana ice cream. But wait, there is no cream, there isn't even any soy, dairy, sugar, gluten or what ever else you might be trying to ween yourself off of for some reason. Just cold smooth banana and a splash of almond milk (or whatever milk you may fancy).


This my friends in breakfast in the desert, creamy and cold, utterly delicious.

This is me eating out of my wine glasses.

Desert and dessert look alike. Don't be fooled.


Banana Ice Cream 
adapted from Kitchn

4 bananas ripe, chopped and frozen

splash of milk (cow, almond, soy, rice, oat)

Optional:

Scoop of peanut butter

1 teaspoon coco powder

1 teaspoon flaxmeal

Coconut



Toss the bananas and milk into a food processor and blend until smooth, about 1 minute, if texture is grainy, add another splash of milk. Add any additional ingredients that will make your mouth happy.

1 comment:

  1. i usually make banana shakes with soy milk, but i've never put coconut or cocoa powder in it.. i'm definitely trying this next time!

    ReplyDelete

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS.....