Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pumpkin Waffles - Gluten Free


I haven't told you about something.


I really should have shared this a lot earlier.


You know the waffle story a couple weeks back?


Turns out, HE was right.


Yeah, I know.....


Egg white waffles are far superior to anything else I have tasted. I have yet to try yeasted waffles, which seems like my perfect waffle, until then, I will stick to the egg white method of making waffles. Further more, I will adhere to this pumpkin waffle recipe until tulips are pushing up through the frozen ground next Spring.


Pumpkin because I love any vegetable that is orange. Give me something that is orange and I will eat or drink it. Well, anything but government cheese. I draw the line folks. I have a love hate with Cheetos. Love 'em but hate everything about them. Doritos? Don't even set a bag near me they will be gone. The orange that I do want to devour with reckless abandon include pumpkin, yam, every form of winter squash, anything candied with orange. That is the orange I am talking about - the real orange. Mother Nature's GOLD.



I put pumpkin in waffles and melted my own heart. Three weekends in a row. This recipe is large, large for a family of two. I try my hardest, I powered through 3 waffles in one morning but I do not recommend it and the stomach ache accompanied by complete and utter lack of motivation brought on by a full belly.

Unless..... you are with someone with the same intent.

And if you must know......

If we are going to eat ourselves into a waffle pile of worthlessness:

I do not like anything on my waffles. I use a fork to cut manageable pieces off so I can eat them with my hands. I dunk waffles if the mood strikes. I eat waffles like toast.

Pumpkin Waffles
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour ( I used Bob Red Mills GF AP Flour and J didn't even notice )
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
4 large eggs, separated
2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted


Preheat oven to 250°F and preheat waffle iron. Sift together flour, brown sugar, baking powder and soda, salt, and spices. Whisk egg yolks in a large bowl with buttermilk, pumpkin, and butter until smooth. Whisk in dry ingredients just until combined.

In a mixing bowl with a whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites until they hold soft peaks. Fold them gently into the waffle batter, until just combined.

Brush waffle iron lightly with oil and spoon batter (about 2 cups for four 4-inch Belgian waffles) into waffle iron, spreading quickly. Cook according to manufacturer’s instructions.

Transfer waffles to rack in oven to keep warm and crisp.

Make more waffles in same manner.

Freeze excess waffles wrapped in plastic wrap and pop in the toaster to reheat.

5 comments:

  1. Love your pics! Although I don't have a waffle maker, I may get one so that I can make these :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh I need to get a waffle maker! These look so delicious, waaaay better than the frozen ones I'm sure. By the way, I really like the second photo, the B/W one with the steam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I've been looking for a fun GF waffle recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right that yeast-raised waffles are you favorite, you just haven't tried them yet. I love the recipe from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone--it's one batter that you can make into pancakes or waffles. Here it is if you don't have the book: http://emmycooks.wordpress.com/2012/01/17/light-as-air-yeast-raised-whole-wheat-pancakes/ I wrote it up as pancakes but for waffles you make it the same then just bake it in your waffle iron. They're FAB.

    ReplyDelete

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS.....